Quick task editor
How to use Quick task editor
Quick task editor is available in the following features of Easy Project:
- Agile board - Scrum & Kanban
- Gantt chart
- Resource Management
- Task list
- WBS - Work Breakdown Structure
Quick task editor enables to see and/or edit all important data related to a specific task in a single-screen pop-up window, eliminating the need for opening the task in a separate tab. So, it is like a compact view of everything that can usually be found under various tabs, columns or buttons of the normal task view. Most importantly, Quick task editor is extremely fast and easy to use and its main purpose is saving time while doing standard task management.
How to access Quick task editor
Here is how to access Quick task editor in various features:
- Agile board - Scrum & Kanban: To open Quick task editor of a specific task from the Scrum/Kanban board, just click on the task itself.
- Gantt chart: Double-click on any task on the timeline or in the left-side tree to open Quick task editor. When editing a task using Quick task editor in the Gantt chart, the changes will not be saved unless the user clicks on the Save button in the top right corner of the timeline window.
- Resource Management: Double-click on any task on the timeline or in the left-side tree to open Quick task editor. When editing a task using Quick task editor in Resource Management, the changes will not be saved unless the user clicks on the Save button in the top right corner of the timeline window.
- Scheduler: To open Quick task editor of a specific task from Scheduler, just click on the task itself.
- Task list: To open Quick task editor for a specific task from the task list, just click on the "pencil in a square" icon in the context menu of a task while the mouse cursor is hovering over it.
- WBS - Work Breakdown Structure: To open Quick task editor of a specific task from WBS, just click on any task in the mind map and select the pencil icon.
The look and functions of Quick task editor
For example, this is how it looks like on the task list. The "pencil in a square" icon opens Quick task editor immediately. To access Quick task editor inside any other feature (besides task list) from the above-listed ones, just take standard steps to edit a task and Quick task editor usually pop-ups automatically so you should not have any trouble finding it.
Below is how Quick task editor looks like. As you can see, the sidebar menu contains buttons for quick navigation to required task attributes you would like to check or edit, namely details, description, comments, attachments, spent time, coworkers, tags, subtasks, parent task, and related tasks.
Of course, Quick task editor is definitely not a passive view but is fully interactive so you can quickly edit any of these visible task attributes or add missing text just by clicking to the respective area on the screen.
Limitations of Quick task editor
- It is not possible to show diagrams in Quick task editor.
- It is not possible to insert images into the comment text in Quick task editor.
- Quick task editor supports text formatting in HTML only.
- In WBS, not just tasks but also projects can be viewed using Quick task editor (by clicking on the pencil icon). In case of projects, however, all the data displayed are read-only (cannot be edited).
- DMS does not work with Quick task editor. It is not possible to store DMS attachments in in it, even if this is set in the system.
- If you change a task type to another one in the Quick task editor, whereas the original task type contained a required custom field, which is not part of the newly selected task type, changing the task type will not be possible this way and you will only be able to do it on the task detail page - with regular task update.
- Every time you open a task in the quick task editor, a special URL address is generated in your browser, ending with something like #modal-issue-123456. You can use this address to open that task in the quick task editor directly (i.e. without the need to click on the icon). However, it will not work when you try to open that task from a different page (i.e. when you change the address before the section #modal-issue-123456).
The Gantt chart and Resource Management limitations:
- When editing a task using Quick task editor, the changes will not be saved unless the user clicks on the Save button in the top right corner of the timeline window. Only the following fields are saved automatically: Description, Tasks, Comments, Log time, Tags, Coworkers, Custom fields.
- Subtasks, parent tasks, and related tasks are not possible to add via Quick task editor (valid for the Gantt chart and Resource Management only).
Custom fields limitations:
- Boolean – only radio buttons, not the dropdown possibility in Quick task editor
- Lookup – not possible to edit, it is only shown in Quick task editor
- Key/value list, Milestone, User + display multiple setting – shown only as a dropdown box in Quick task editor
- Color - not shown in Quick task editor
- Dependent custom field - not implemented yet in Quick task editor